Please check your junk folder for registration emails ×
  • Current Donation Goals

• Raised $0.00

Dumb Question Thread!

Jambun

Close the Decks with Dowels, Rebuild the original Engine with V7 STI Parts. Fit v6 STI Cams/Heads etc. Good Strong Motor.

I\'m currently sourcing quotes for Semi Closing my original Open Deck EJ208. Will post figures when they arrive.

Or just throw in a Fresh, or low km V7 STI EJ207 Short/V6 STI Heads/Single T Conversion. ;)

With matching era WRX ECU. BE/BH Rev A/B - V5/6 WRX A7/A8 ECU.

Source:

http://www.clubsub.org.nz/forum/index.php/topic,42272.15.html

AFAIK ;) The BH/BE Rev D, Phase 3 (V7) ECU, is a 5 Plug ECU. That strangely looks familiar to the V7 WRX - 5 Plug ECU, currently on Trademe. :D Note: Rev D C/R is 9.0:1 - V7 WRX is around 8.0:1c/r. Also requires fooling AVCS/ECU.

300533758.jpg

Here\'s a good Link to Fully Closing an Open Deck Block:

http://forums.nasioc.com/forums/showthread.php?t=952071

So you can keep the Original Factory Engine/Codes etc, but unbreakable. ;)

Here\'s info on Different EJ Engine Blocks, Heads and Internal Components:

http://www.clubsub.org.nz/forum/index.php/topic,42295.0.html

Here\'s a Link to Possible Intake Manifolds, to use for the Conversion:

http://www.clubsub.org.nz/forum/index.php/topic,42388.0.html

Any Single Turbo Exhaust Manifold will fit. Pre V8 STI Twin Scroll.

8)

I think I got about 350-420kms per 40L tank in the old cars. Me giving my old car a good thrash daily was similar. Have owned 3 wrx\'s all the same. Depends how you drive it and how long your trips are. E.g My trips were only 8mins to work 8mins home maybe 2mins to get lunch some days and the rest was around town or hills...

Divine said:

Currently getting 7K\'s / L is this normal?

14L/100km

New Air Filter

Injector Cleaner

Upper Cylinder Cleaner

Check for Boost Leaks

Check operation of AFM/O2 Sensor

Check Spark Plug Condition/Ignition

Edit: Maybe also check for Exhaust Blockages? Also...

Are you running a Pod Filter?

Do you have a VTA BOV fitted?

Turbo blanket ... over the heat shield? fits great! is this safe?

I brought a lava blanket, and the damn thing wouldn\'t fit under the waste gate arm, so Iv\'e attached the heat shield and fitted the blanket around the shield with springs, good tight fit. Could this catch fire?

Disruptz said:

Turbo blanket ... over the heat shield? fits great! is this safe?

I brought a lava blanket, and the damn thing wouldn\'t fit under the waste gate arm, so Iv\'e attached the heat shield and fitted the blanket around the shield with springs, good tight fit. Could this catch fire?

It needs to be on the turbo or else it\'s not really doing anything. You won\'t need the heat shield anymore if you have that on there. The wastegate arm can be moved by taking the circlip off I think (been a while since I had an internal)

evowrx']

[quote name='ADIKT said:

Changing from single scroll to twin.

Will the turbo air intake line up still?

/quote]

Check with marc, straight swap from what I understand.

Ill txt him.

I have an ej207 v7 sti shorty with v4 ej20k sti heads with v4 sti intake manifold and under manifold intake.

If I change from single scroll to twin scroll (headers/turbo) will it line up with what\'s there?

gotasuby']

[quote name='Roo said:

Where do you guys get your driveshaft hoops?

/quote]

I made my own ;D

Currently in the process of modifying some universal ones that I got off tardme. Wish our factory dealt with steel that is thicker than 1.15mm and I could have just got the fab shop to do it for me :( (cause I\'m lazy like that).

gotasuby']

[quote name='Roo said:

Where do you guys get your driveshaft hoops?

/quote]

I made my own ;D

How did they come up? Would you make more?

Was going to ask BNT timaru about them as apparently make them. The cert guy said trademe ones are okay but are bent a bit extreme and can damage the metal he said

• Admin

Doesn\'t change the fact that it\'s a f*cking dumb blanket rule that covers heaps of cars that it shouldn\'t

It\'s targeted at the \'rodder making his driveshaft in a shed out of a hunk of pipe, not people running OE driveshafts in AWD Japanese cars.

Seriously, has anyone ever heard of a driveshaft letting go in a WRX?

I\'ve been talking to certifiers and mechanics about this one basically ever since it came in, stupid stupid blanket rule and they know it, but apparently "there are bigger battles to fight"

Completely let-alone the fact that the driveshaft isn\'t really going anywhere even if it snapped on a WRX, thanks to the diff carrier at the rear and the carrier bearing in the middle.

Stupid, stupid, stupid.

Yet they persist with it because of the attitude of "well it can only make things safer" when really it\'s like well I\'m just not going to get a cert, because I will have to get 2 stupid pointless driveshaft hoops which will require me to strip the interior of the car to install, which I CBF doing just to install some pointless bits of metal.

EDIT: Yes, this grinds my gears. Fortunately most certifiers apply a certain amount of common sense, and will treat your car like it doesn\'t meet the power increase threshold for hoops.

I have to install these on mine which has a carbon fibre driveshaft, and its one piece, I also have to give evidence of power rating on the thing, even though its clearly rated to 800 hp.

Also when cf driveshaft\'s break they just splinter so there is no risk of it being a danger or pole vaulting the car, bloody stupid rule but there you are another 500 bucks I have to spend on another cert.

boon said:

Seriously, has anyone ever heard of a driveshaft letting go in a WRX?

just putting it out there..... yes I sold a v7 one 2 weeks ago that let go :D

but I do agree with you it is ott. mostly for the likes of dacerx putting gc8 gear in a gc1 or whatever it was . same chassis but swapping the gear over required hoops for cert

evowrx']

[quote name='B4 2000 said:

My certifier didn\'t ask for driveshaft hoops when I get my car certed recently

/quote]

Same here. Only required if 20%- increase in power iirc.

yeah im above that going from 300 hp to 500+ especially when e85 is being used.

B4 2000 you were lucky as you\'re above 300kw aren\'t you? Which is easily a 20% increase.

• Guest locked this topic