Please check your junk folder for registration emails ×
  • Current Donation Goals

• Raised $0.00

Dumb Question Thread!

Jambun

Clutch slip is when you\'re in gear, you put your foot down and the revs go high before the car moves? I was going onto the highway, shifted into third, foot down, car sat at 60 revs skyrockted to 4k before I went anywhere.

boon']

[quote name='QRAF said:

NFI, but several of the WRC cars have used them (I think they call them "velocity chambers") so they probably do something useful.

are these kinda like inlet resonators when I owned a Toyota soarer it had something like that

http://planetsoarer.com/resonator/resonator.html

or is it something different

one is designed by yamaha and prolly has significant RnD put into it and works well .

the other is a tin can from a shed in h town or whangas .

thats interesting reading about the soarer stuff .

although the soarer stuff seems to confuse pre and post throttle body discussion

i was under the impression that most of them are to quieten noise eg dampen a particular frequncy etc to prevent intake drone ( have since read this is a common misconception)

lachlan said:

one is designed by yamaha and prolly has significant RnD put into it and works well .

the other is a tin can from a shed in h town or whangas .

i was under the impression that most of them are to quieten noise eg dampen a particular frequncy etc to prevent intake drone ( have since read this is a common misconception)

I get lols from stuff you write (re tin can)

- I remember reading another dyno test thing, might have been in HPi or something - same idea, they used different sized resonators on the inlet to like a mirage/corolla or something - had similar results. They could gain or lose power at different points just by changing the size or the resonant chamber - I think a massive 5l jerrycan gave the best but did lead to some issues with room

Though to be fair making 5kw on a 50kW car I\'d rather just have the extra noise and take the placebo effect instead haha

Doort dooooort bwaaaaaaaaarp *50kph* bwaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaarp *80* meanwhile getting passed by a half laden bus

paulngui said:

Not necessarily a dumb question, just don\'t wna start a new thread, but if I want to buy a towbar off Trademe, who do I go to in Auckland to get it installed?

have seen people install themselves. Do it yourself? If not any mechanic place should be able to do it. Shouldn\'t be a hard job

yeah they are made to just bolt on . and maybe trim the bumper etc depending on exact fit etc .

might have to drill holes in something .

its be pretty simple . youd need a 1/2 inch socket set to do it up porperly .

someone will do it for a box of beers if your not so keen

Marky said:

http://www.iaperformance.com/product_info.php?products_id=2580 <-- A USDM - JDM conversion kit thingy?

Marks dumb question - with a sub box how important is the shape of it compared to the size/volume? Want to make up a box to hug the left side of the boot & on top of the wheel arch rather than the big wanky cube I have now which doesn\'t fit nicely anywhere

Shape doesn\'t matter. as long as the size/volume is matched to the sub specs you\'ll be sweet

• General Member
 ADIKT']

Shape doesn\'t matter. as long as the size/volume is matched to the sub specs you\'ll be sweet

Depends if its ported or not wouldn\'t it ?

no

[quote name='ADIKT said:

• Admin

Strictly speaking, yes, the shape does matter, particularly when talking ported boxes.

You can get into all sorts of wank about laminar flow, dead spots and high pressure areas. Which I used to.

For a joe-bloggs-boring sorta box, just make sure you have at least the diameter of your port between the end of the port and the face opposite it, I guess.

anyone know a coolant flush / system cleaner , that actually works

just on the mrs 97 corolla . coolant is still green but rad cap has crusty orange s*** round it . wanna flush/ clean they system before i replace coolant

on same topic this CarGoSealUp.jpg

(on the shop shelf it settles out to copper at the bottom 1/3 and blue top )

actually works really well . have put it in 3 cars . well 2 cars and one diesel digger . it will work if the care is making latte in the coolant tank . primera was bought like 3 years ago and did that to it . got daily driven and has since been sold

follow the instructions tho .

• Guest locked this topic