Please check your junk folder for registration emails ×
  • Current Donation Goals

• Raised $0.00

NEW Road Rules from March 25th

Joker

• General Member
 "yoeddynz" said:
What give-way rules will be changing at 5am on 25 March 2012?

There are two give-way rules that will be changing.

Change 1: The left-turn versus right-turn rule

From 5am on 25 March 2012, this new rule will require all traffic turning right to give way to a vehicle coming from the opposite direction and turning left. This only applies at cross roads, T-intersections and driveways where:

a) both vehicles are facing each other with no signs or signals (neither vehicle is controlled)

b) both vehicles are facing give way signs

c) both vehicles are facing stop signs

d) both vehicles are facing green traffic signals

An example of each situation where the new rule will apply is shown below. In each of the diagrams below the RED car has to give way to the GREEN car:

a) Both vehicles facing each other with no signs or signals (neither vehicle is controlled)

onel.gif

twof.gif

b) Both vehicles facing Give Way signs

three.gif

c) Both vehicles facing Stop signs

fourn.gif

d) Both vehicles facing green traffic signals

six.gif

Change 2: At uncontrolled T-intersections (‘uncontrolled’ means when there are no signs or signals to tell you what to do)

At an uncontrolled T-intersection, all traffic from a terminating road (bottom of the T) will have to give way to all traffic on a continuing road (top of the T). This will bring it into line with T-intersections where there are Stop or Give Way signs on the terminating road. In the diagram below the RED car has to give way to the GREEN car:

fiveh.gif

official campaign yet to be launched

• Replies 139
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• General Member
 "JoKer"'][quote name='"Scrubb" said:
the key thing that I remember is "If you are changing onto THEIR road, then you should give way to them" or "If you are staying following your road then they give way to you"./quote]

sums it up nicely!

NZ is only country with our current style and it is apparently pretty backwards if you have been/driven over seas with these rules : they work pretty good so ppl say

grego0o']

[quote name='slystiguy said:

I dont understand what the point in changing this law is? surely its only going to make busy corners build up worse?

/quote]

We are the only country in the world with the stupid rule so time to update really..

hard out - never is a good time to change but has to be done.

its just going to make retard drivers go even more full retard though. I will be staying off the road - else il rage at ppl.

funkytown']

[quote name='slystiguy said:

I dont understand what the point in changing this law is? surely its only going to make busy corners build up worse?

/quote]

We are the only country in the world with the stupid rule so time to update really..

hard out - never is a good time to change but has to be done.

its just going to make retard drivers go even more full retard though. I will be staying off the road - else il rage at ppl.

For us "old" folk, we are only reverting back to what it was years ago. So we have now had to go through two changes.

newsuba said:

All pretty straight forward.

It would be a good time to reinforce lane discipline, too many plonkers veer into the wrong lane when turning into multi-lane roads.

QFT - this makes me rage SO hard, happens all the time in wellies. and its not as though every intersection that has it isnt sign posted. And then when your the one turning left, the right hand turn people throw a rage fit at you!

• Admin
 funkytown']

[quote name='newsuba said:

All pretty straight forward.

It would be a good time to reinforce lane discipline, too many plonkers veer into the wrong lane when turning into multi-lane roads.

/quote]

QFT - this makes me rage SO hard, happens all the time in wellies. and its not as though every intersection that has it isnt sign posted. And then when your the one turning left, the right hand turn people throw a rage fit at you!

I had this woman throw a MASSIVE wobbly at me (the full honking, gesturing, blah blah) at the Tory-Wakefield intersection, I was turning left and she tried to turn right across 3 lanes and just about hit me thinking I was supposed to give way, wtf...

Johnnynz said:

I thin small towns will be the worst. In a bigger city the rules make sense and people will catch on quick I think. In smaller towns it really wont affect much and people wont change.

From my experiences here in South Aux, people struggle to understand the basics such as red lights mean stop, what indicating is let alone even bother to indicate, and merging doesn't mean u hog both lanes til it merges.......I somehow doubt alot of people will get this simple rule change.

But personally best rule change, bout time we caught up with the rest of the world. It makes such simple sense..... It was experimented in OZ for a few months god knows how many years ago so NZ followed suit, unfortunately we never got rid of the rule.

Oh and P.S every day no-one around here understands what a cycleway is...Screw being a cyclist round here lol despite being a whole road to drive on lol they always drive in the cycle lane. ::)