Guest keltik

What have you done to your car today?

1 hour ago, Abomb said:

I’ve just about got everything together to install the 20g. Injectors, turbo inlet and injectors on the shelf. Ordered a pitch stop, engine mounts, fuel pump, catch can and replacement coolant hoses. Only thing left to order is the front mount but I’m still weighing my options there.

Hows the install? I’ve ordered the full Cusco set including the trans mount. 

Not too bad really. Need to remove the headers if using factory twinscroll ones but may get away with leaving them for single if you're lucky. 

Trans mount is super easy and shouldn't cause any issues. Interested to hear how the Cusco stuff compares to Kein for noise and vibrations

7 minutes ago, Andy_Mac said:

Not too bad really. Need to remove the headers if using factory twinscroll ones but may get away with leaving them for single if you're lucky. 

Trans mount is super easy and shouldn't cause any issues. Interested to hear how the Cusco stuff compares to Kein for noise and vibrations

Headers will be off anyways, I’m planning on doing all the mounts at the same time I install the nzkw uelh and turbo. Also haven’t had upgraded engine mounts before so it’ll be comparison to stock. So lots of vibration im

sure. After the turbo and various parts get installed the next big thing will end up being pretty much the entire white line suspension bushing upgrade for diffs and the like. 

also, when I do that I’ll have a standard set of sti headers with external gate flange and grimmspeed cross pipe up for sale. 

Edited by Abomb
Added some stuff
  • Like 1

Curbed a wheel from a perfect set I’ve had for like, 8 years. Feelsbad.jpg 

Pulled some speakers from the Gf8 to measure and see if my other ones will fit, just need some spacers, got my front right speaker going again, and found my 200gig folder worth of music. Never been one for ICE, but it looks like this thing is getting some Doof Doof 

• Like 3

4 hours ago, AdamOst said:

Tried to use my mx5 like a subaru. Didnt go very well but it was a lot of fun.

Come on, there is no reason why an MX5 could not whoop a WRX's behind at an autox... it's entirely dependent on the layout and the hair dresser behind the wheel.

Edited by Loren
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

in terms of outright handling, mx5 walks all over any wrx/sti.

checkout lists of best handling cars and you'll find them full of 2wd cars like the mx5, or even fwd !

😄

Edited by newsuba

in terms of outright handling, mx5 walks all over any wrx/sti.
checkout lists of best handling cars and you'll find them full of 2wd cars like the mx5, or even fwd !

Even a Honda Civic beats sti around track these days :(

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
  • Like 2

Haha, yeah I let the side down more than the car, although semi slicks are not ideal on grass.I got a top 6 and a 12th or something on 2 courses, but got a few time penalties for hitting cones :P Main issue was tire grip and gearing, 1st gear was just wheelspin and second gear bogged occasionally. There was a bunch of stockish mx5s who did way better than me due to consistency.

Was a good laugh anyway.

The event was dominated by small fwd hatches like echos and stuff driven by way more experienced drivers. This was my first time on grass with it.

Edited by AdamOst
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Batbaruman said:

Even a Honda Civic beats sti around track these days :(

The new FK8 does. Not suprised though - the aero on it is bad, but screams "I'm fast" - while doing so with a very boring sounding inline 4 turbo.

I'd still have the old EP3 Type R over the newer ones any day. Won't be as fast as a WRX/STI though :)

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, newsuba said:

jdm fd2 ftw   😉

FD2R are so nice or for that raw track feeling a EK9 type r would be epic. 

I have had so many Hondas, don't know why I ditched them to make build a Subaru 🤣

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

20 minutes ago, Inked said:

FD2R are so nice or for that raw track feeling a EK9 type r would be epic. 

I have had so many Hondas, don't know why I ditched them to make build a Subaru 🤣

I'm interested, what actually made you make this decision? Buying opportunity or desired one for a while? Always been a Honda man myself - and I don't know many Honda owners that have any interest in Subaru's 🙂

• Like 2

38 minutes ago, mulac said:

I'm interested, what actually made you make this decision? Buying opportunity or desired one for a while? Always been a Honda man myself - and I don't know many Honda owners that have any interest in Subaru's 🙂

I am not 100% sure to be honest with you, I think it was the overall picture. I have been through about 9 Honda's and this is my second Subaru. After owning my first (95 WRX) I just loved the feeling of them, They are great cars to jump in and drive day to day, you have torque when you want it and boost when you want also. I find the interiors from the later models up in WRX's really nice as well. Plus the AWD is so much fun! 

• Like 3

2 hours ago, newsuba said:

jdm fd2 ftw   😉

True. They are the ULTIMATE Type R really. But for me, the EP3 sticks out the most, for it's whacky gear lever coming out of the dash.

And, the K20 - such a wonderful engine! Far less to worry about maintenance wise compared to the older B16B. Heck, even the normal K20/K24's are something if tuned well.

SpeedAcademy threw a high mileage one in a Nissan S14, and it makes like 200whp, which is impressive for a old, worn engine, that came out of a nothing fancy Accord. Redline at 8000rpm, which is pretty high for a 2.4. They have plans to turbo it...

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, Kiwiflyboy said:

Finally found some time to install the whiteline goodies that arrived last week. Now just to find the time to see how it has changed how the car handles.
5a435770b846f4a9ec4c28014ce3c2d2.jpg81ce23cb4a6d2b9922be70255672e16c.jpg

Dang I still have some brand new underbody braces (Hardrace) and used Cusco, would've been cheaper than those whitelines ;)

That rear sway bar should make it handle so much better. Stock one is a joke.

• Like 2

Dang I still have some brand new underbody braces (Hardrace) and used Cusco, would've been cheaper than those whitelines

That rear sway bar should make it handle so much better. Stock one is a joke.

The braces I keen on didn’t know you had the rear sway bar though?
Old size was 16mm now 22 with 3 way adjustable better make a difference.

1 hour ago, Kiwiflyboy said:

The braces I keen on didn’t know you had the rear sway bar though?
Old size was 16mm now 22 with 3 way adjustable better make a difference.

Sway bar was sold ages ago unlike a bunch of braces that I never get around to itemise and list properly. Have some for the front and a few for the rear including one that goes across, kind off like an underbody strut brace :D 

16mm is not as bad, if I remember correctly NZ new had 14mm there.. I first upgraded to an STI GRB swaybar and then to Ultraracing.

• Like 1

Got my recall letter for my Electronic Parking Brake... Think this is the 3rd recall I'll have had done during my ownership

Haven’t had one since I had mine. Most likely it’s cos not NZ new I guess

11 minutes ago, Kiwiflyboy said:

Haven’t had one since I had mine. Most likely it’s cos not NZ new I guess

Yep most likely, I got one too in my fairly short ownership.  

Started grinding up TVG and realised there so much to take out especially to match the intake to the TVG.

The intake manifold is about 5mm smaller in diameter than the TVG 

• Like 1