Please check your junk folder for registration emails ×
  • Current Donation Goals

• Raised $0.00

What have you done to your car today?

Guest keltik

Took starter off... opened it up... the piston that engages the flywheel also acts as a relay to feed power to the actual motor... the

contacts on the piston and in the housing are as pitted as hell... so I believe that is the culprit... I will try and clean the contacts

rather than replace them.

loner said:

Took starter off... opened it up... the piston that engages the flywheel also acts as a relay to feed power to the actual motor... the

contacts on the piston and in the housing are as pitted as hell... so I believe that is the culprit... I will try and clean the contacts

Replace them and the plunger probably 5-10 on contacts and 10-20 on plunger. Guessing you mean its denso style gear reduction.

evowrx']

[quote name='loner said:

/quote]

Replace them and the plunger probably 5-10 on contacts and 10-20 on plunger. Guessing you mean its denso style gear reduction.

oh yeah, it\'s called a plunger... what do you mean by 5-10 and 10-20?

Are those the parts you meant to replace koom?

Looks like this, but not as bad...

plunger.jpg

lidoff2.jpg

Attacked the foglight grille thing and bumper and got a direct (but invisable) air path to filter (its behind the foglight), looks stupid without fogs in so minor win there, definately not getting the heat soak feeling it had before after sitting still. Cleaned out bbod solenoids, and redid all earths to chassis & motor with sandpaper, reset ecu and now have worlds smoothest idle. Would love to say it drives nicer but probably just placebo effect tbh

loner said:

http://legacygt.com/forums/showthread.php/starter-solenoid-rebuild-click-but-no-start-fix-192651.html

Hope this helps, it\'s from the states but I think it\'s the same here, I found the same contacts on trademe a while back for a toyota starter that matched the subaru one

You will need a solenoid contactor kit, it will include 2 contacts and a plunger ,Cleaning may work for a wee while but has a high chance of failure, IF you decide to clean them make sure that the 2 contacts are the same thickness, the difference in height is what causes the issue as the centre plate on the plunger does not pivot enough when one of the contacts is more than a mm lower than the other.

Just replacing the contacts works well 90% of the time.

Often one contact wears faster than the other for no reason at all. $5-10 and $10-20 anymore than that go somewhere else. The two surfaces plunger/contacts wear similar amounts better to do both and know its done. Gear reduction starters rarely give problem which is why most direct drive truck/tractor units get replaced with them. They mainly just need the plunger/contacts replacing after a lot of work. Go see appco/repco I dont know what you have down there and take in the samples and the starter numbers theres about 5 common plungers and 7-9 common contacts.

Codex said:

Oh wow, nice. Looks like b4 / fozzy ones.

If they turn out good get a bunch and flick em locally on TM, I would have got them if i still had my BG

Drive it from chch to brightwater (nelson) yesterday. 400km, good trip knocked it over in 4hrs and no wasn\'t fanging it. Seen a super tidy v6 sti gf8 at murch Mobil. It was blue in colour and even the red inserts on the seats were blue aswell. Maybe a limited edition?

STiNGR said:

Drive it from chch to brightwater (nelson) yesterday. 400km, good trip knocked it over in 4hrs and no wasn\'t fanging it. Seen a super tidy v6 sti gf8 at murch Mobil. It was blue in colour and even the red inserts on the seats were blue aswell. Maybe a limited edition?

yea they come with blue inserts, id rather the blue over red

got it going again . installed aem wide band . made the intake a whole lot better . re fitter the water sprayer tnk and hooked it up to the front mount . went for a thrash . 15 psi . mid 11 afrs . injectors nudging 88% . fuck it feels fast . nowhere to open up many gears . gave it a launch . spun all 4 for the length of the car .

rex-leggy said:

you must\'ve been fangin it its impossible . would take 4 hrs at a constant 100kph

Na man left Belfast at like 11am and got to brightwater which is bout 20km before nelson town at round 3:25pm. Naf all traffic heading north it was all coming back.

Played with launch control again. Need a new clutch soon ish, this one was giving up slowly, i think i may not have helped. Put a hole in the exhaust on a rather um.... Enjoyable private gravel road. Worked out i also need new plugs, it\'s missing at about 20psi, boost is a bit all over the place, need to sit down with the car and laptop and play slowly.

G-unit']

[quote name='STiNGR said:

/quote]

yea they come with blue inserts, id rather the blue over red

Yer same but it looked good cos the car was blue also.