Please check your junk folder for registration emails ×
  • Current Donation Goals

• Raised $0.00

What have you done to your car today?

Guest keltik

11 minutes ago, delta said:

Voucher from Grabone, the place is Skylink auto electrical or something like that.

The place looked a little dodgy though, they wanted to check my car for 1 hour ... had to insist that I just wanted the regas but still had to wait 1 hour 30 min total.

Fark that... :D

49 minutes ago, sobanoodle said:

Somewhat not car related but hugely relates to actually driving one.

Got my eye sight fixed, once and for all! No more stupid glasses/lenses/expenses associated with those/no more $400 fines for not wearying your glasses too :D

Best investment I've done in my life. 

Laser? 

clean up surface rusts on and repainted factory horn

take care of last of certification requirements

clean up the engine bay

re-painted the wipers / blacked the poor condition plastic around them  while they were out .. and i think i refitted the wipers in at the wrong angles but i'll find out eventually when i go use them :ph34r:

yuck

9D0QRvY.jpg

blaaaack

zqCmHT3.jpg

On 2/10/2017 at 0:12 AM, Zenki said:

2011 BR9 Outback, EJ253 (i-AVLS).

A used engine will still be reasonably spendy as the engine will have to be from a fairly new car, and at that point I'd rather overhaul the original engine and retain a motor with known service history.

Oh fark ... didn't realise it was a 2011 !

Subaru just F***ed up with your engine, it's crazy that you get a head gasket leak on that one.

I ordered a new full set of RE003's for my car which will go on later this month hopefully, will also get an alignment because I haven't had one since I changed struts/springs and they are way off lol. That coupled with the bald tyres mean driving in the wet is very slippery lol

Will hopefully have some nice handling after that's sorted :) 

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Subru said:

I ordered a new full set of RE003's for my car which will go on later this month hopefully, will also get an alignment because I haven't had one since I changed struts/springs and they are way off lol. That coupled with the bald tyres mean driving in the wet is very slippery lol

Will hopefully have some nice handling after that's sorted :) 

what sizes did you get? I've had RE003s on the rear and S001s for the fronts on a non-subaru car, they were mint!

16 minutes ago, Subru said:

I think the tyre size is 205/50/R17 (sorry I haven't got the details on me, think thats what im getting) which is a bit wider than whats normal, I could have got 205/45/R17 which is the correct size but they are less common and more expensive so im getting the bigger ones which still fit fine, dont know if there are any benefits for having this tyre size or not, other than its cheaper xD 

Edit: wait the correct tyre size is 205/50/R17 and im getting some other size I think, its escaped my mind right now xD 

If you change the sidewall profile of the tyre you will be changing the circumference, this affects the gearing of the car and the accuracy of the speedometer. This is what the middle number in a tyre size represents.

http://www.willtheyfit.com/

1 minute ago, IZichard said:

If you change the sidewall profile of the tyre you will be changing the circumference, this affects the gearing of the car and the accuracy of the speedometer. This is what the middle number in a tyre size represents.

http://www.willtheyfit.com/

yep, the guy at bridgestone had a app on his phone and he did the difference and it was only a tiny difference to the speedo, I just took a look at the tyres on my car and they are 205/50/17 but I cant quite remember the exact size Im getting, ill take a look at work tomorrow, I should have it written somewhere lol

So if the middle number is 50, does that mean 50% of the first number? or am I thinking of something else xD 

5 minutes ago, Subru said:

yep, the guy at bridgestone had a app on his phone and he did the difference and it was only a tiny difference to the speedo, I just took a look at the tyres on my car and they are 205/50/17 but I cant quite remember the exact size Im getting, ill take a look at work tomorrow, I should have it written somewhere lol

So if the middle number is 50, does that mean 50% of the first number? or am I thinking of something else xD 

Yes, a 50 profile tyre will have a sidewall that is 50% the width of the tyre.

If you plug your before and after tyre sizes into the website I linked you will be able to see the exact changes it will cause. Remember if you change to a smaller circumference tyre you will notice slightly improved acceleration but slightly worse fuel economy at 100km/h (by gps not your speedometer). A change in circumference of more than 5% technically requires a cert.

2 minutes ago, IZichard said:

Yes, a 50 profile tyre will have a sidewall that is 50% the width of the tyre.

If you plug your before and after tyre sizes into the website I linked you will be able to see the exact changes it will cause. Remember if you change to a smaller circumference tyre you will notice slightly improved acceleration but slightly worse fuel economy at 100km/h (by gps not your speedometer). A change in circumference of more than 5% technically requires a cert.

ahh I see, that helps :) 

1 minute ago, willisnz said:

and from my very limited research it's also not very easy to reflash the stock ECU so that the speedo is calibrated for a different wheel circumference?

Not sure on this one. Usually the vehicle has the appropriate wheel/tyre sizes and pressures on a sticker in the drivers door jam. I.e the sizes the speedometer is calibrated for.

Just now, IZichard said:

Not sure on this one. Usually the vehicle has the appropriate wheel/tyre sizes and pressures on a sticker in the drivers door jam. I.e the sizes the speedometer is calibrated for.

yeah I meant if you go outside the circumference it is calibrated for you are stuck with speedo and odomter that will read wrong. Apparently with some other makes of car it is pretty easy to re-flash the ecu to use a different circumference but with Subarus it isn't.  Though I wouldn't take my word on this:)

• Like 1

33 minutes ago, willisnz said:

yeah I meant if you go outside the circumference it is calibrated for you are stuck with speedo and odomter that will read wrong. Apparently with some other makes of car it is pretty easy to re-flash the ecu to use a different circumference but with Subarus it isn't.  Though I wouldn't take my word on this:)

I had a VW and you could choose between different pre-set settings for the circumference. You just needed the right cable and software. You can even do it from the ODB on some VW.

This setting is mainly intended for when you fit winter tyres.

There was actually heaps of settings you could change to customize your car, was really cool :) 

Edited by delta

Hello

My names Bryce and I am an addict:

My addiction is my BC5.

I was supposed to just go and fill the car and then go to the dog park to check how busy it was. I ended up going for a 30km blast after filling up and never made it to the dog park. I had the wife call me to check if I was ok as I was gone for so long.

I thought while I was out I would just have a quick hoon, but that turned into a bit of a drive!

Also this car was supposed to be a weekend car but I love driving it so much its just about turned into my daily! My poor outback sits there looking at me to take it out, buts not as fun.

• Like 7