Guest keltik

What have you done to your car today?

Attempt number three to seal the fuel cradle has now failed.

The gromet is sealing perfectly but there is now a very slight weep coming through the wiring underneath the insulation. Not sure if there is any way to actually seal a multicore cable other than maybe soldering where the insulation starts to try seal the centre wires to each other and then have a smooth surface for the heat shrink to bind to. 

Using the resin filled raychem heat shrink but assume it isn't rated for fuel.

Think getting another stock cradle top and a surge tank is the smart/mentally soothing way to go from here.

• Sad 2

31 minutes ago, Andy_Mac said:

Attempt number three to seal the fuel cradle has now failed.

The gromet is sealing perfectly but there is now a very slight weep coming through the wiring underneath the insulation. Not sure if there is any way to actually seal a multicore cable other than maybe soldering where the insulation starts to try seal the centre wires to each other and then have a smooth surface for the heat shrink to bind to. 

Using the resin filled raychem heat shrink but assume it isn't rated for fuel.

Think getting another stock cradle top and a surge tank is the smart/mentally soothing way to go from here.

RTV sealant? Get the goo in between each wire 

19 minutes ago, Omsin said:

RTV sealant? Get the goo in between each wire 

You mean before the insulation starts separate the inner strands enough to get goo between them all?

So I did a thing today and bought another project car. Thanks @Jono24

A few shots of her while i wait to board the Interislander.

fNhfn49.jpg

fdJvQB9.jpg

• Like 6

2 hours ago, Andy_Mac said:

You mean before the insulation starts separate the inner strands enough to get goo between them all?

Could you upload a photo of the cable / leak?

53 minutes ago, Omsin said:

Could you upload a photo of the cable / leak?

The new gromet is dry but the fuel is tracking up the inside of the wire and seeping out at the heatshrink

48768281548_89cbbeb97f_b.jpg

3 hours ago, Andy_Mac said:

Most rtv will break down when exposed to fuel so I wouldn't recommend that. Usually when that happens you would need to replace the sensor but your solder idea sounds like it could work.

The same thing happens with the avcs cam sensors where they leak internally and force oil up the wire between the copper and the insulator. If you don't do anything about it the fluid will keep going along the wire until the next point it can escape.

• Like 2

Was going to try these but this other gromet looked like it might work too, plus fairly sure the hole in the cradle is too big for one of these so would need a new upper to try with these.

They completely isolate the wiring outside from inside with crimped eyelets on each side and seals around a stud so no chance of fuel tracking up.

https://www.nzefi.com/product/submersible-fuel-pump-bulk-head-terminal/

• Like 1

Had it on the Dyno Friday. 

Had a couple of issues. 

Basically, fuel injector clinic 1650cc e85 injectors have really bad short pulse control. Cheap injector, don't recommend. 

The exhaust strangled it, and I have a huge amount of pressure drop across the intercooler. Like nearly 4psi.

Plan of attack:

New intercooler.

Adrenaline r 3inch tail section (or similar, quiet is good but needs to flow well)

Get some id1300x's

Retune. 

As it is, it's a hoot to drive (safe tune) but it's... No where close to what the target was 

• Like 8

3 hours ago, SpeedySub said:

Did this 

Nice job - looks a million times better!

• Like 1

On 22/09/2019 at 10:32 PM, Niran said:

@Kiwi_Fozze what's it at so far?

225 at the wheels and fugall torque. It's super lazy too. I might have chosen a rear housing that's a nudge too big, doesn't really come on till like 4k

• Like 2

Scored myself this puppy 😎

48819953496_dc87b6280b_b.jpg

Brand spanking new at a sweet as price ☺️

Edited by sobanoodle

3 minutes ago, sobanoodle said:

Scoredmyself this puppy 😎

48819953496_dc87b6280b_b.jpg

Brand spanking new at a sweet as price ☺️

Awesome. What does the standard one look like? Same shape but leather?

25 minutes ago, Andy_Mac said:

Awesome. What does the standard one look like? Same shape but leather?

Stock M-Sport is the same as below - round, leather and a black insert as opposed to CF. 

bmw-6-series-_0.jpg?itok=8HwQKadY

Was a bit of a surprise to find out that the airbag is only held by a retainer spring, not bolts. Basically just clips into place. 

• Like 1

So pretty basic but I went and got new tyres for the legacy as it was desperately needed. Basically haven’t driven it all winter because of them obviously and just replaced them now.

But that alignment. Christ no wonder that thing felt sketchy all the time.

365cb21eabf3595e4fe4e223eb98b361.jpgdf4266bfc69063e153d250b51dc98fa8.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Like 1
  • Haha 1
  • Confused 1

Nail right near the side wall of my near new pilot sport 4. Unrepairable, so painful...

Directed the crappy clear lights for some factory ones.

qa5JO8H.jpg

ZfAExRP.jpg

Also replaced the ac compressor since I haven’t had ac since I bought the car. Turns out I’m a moron and should have pressure tested it first because when I went to charge the system I have a leak where the high pressure line bolts onto the compressor. 

• Like 5

Made some good progress with this project. Just need to flash it with the updated BIOS that powers it up when 12v is sensed and work out how to mount everything up. 

48849525978_15bc141297_b.jpg

• Like 2

Wrapped the headunit surround. Not sure if I like it, might remove and spray paint black instead 

jD9etkM.jpg

xomWjcZ.jpg