Please check your junk folder for registration emails ×
  • Current Donation Goals

• Raised $0.00

Why do people still do it?!

G B

Okay, bit of a rant this morning. Why the f*** do people still think it's okay to use their mobile phone while driving? Just this morning, in a busy Westgate shopping centre leading up to a busy junction and pedestrian crossing, a blue WRX wagon drives along with a brainless young moron at the wheel texting on his phone. Why? I fail to understand how he (and others) feel it's okay to put the safety of others at risk and that a text message etc is more important that the lives of others. Are people really that arrogant (or stupid) that they think they are immune from accidents while being distracted? I really wouldn't mind so much if they crashed their own car and hurt themselves and no one else was involved - but, unfortunately, more than often, that is not the case. And working in the health sector (operating rooms) I see the results and they are not pretty.

Come on people. If you're old enough to drive, then you are old enough to start thinking like a intellegent adult. That is obviously asking too much of some..... ¬¬

• Like 8

Nothing used to give me greater pleasure when back in the UK in my old job sticking people on for driving whilst using a mobile phone. Usually it wasn't the fine (£60) that the driver was bothered about it was the 3 points that went with it that was going to have some affect on next years insurance renewal.

Ive seen worse driving into Wellington on the motorway a driver with her laptop open on her lap whilst driving. I was absolutely gob smacked.....😳😳😳

• Like 4

Must admit, I did do it quite a lot too, but with my old man being a member of our lovely law enforcement and telling me stories of accidents he had to go to because of cell phone use it turned me off the idea of using it while driving, find it easier to put my phone in the glove box to take away the distraction 

1 hour ago, Steviep168 said:

Nothing used to give me greater pleasure when back in the UK in my old job sticking people on for driving whilst using a mobile phone. Usually it wasn't the fine (£60) that the driver was bothered about it was the 3 points that went with it that was going to have some affect on next years insurance renewal.

I've no idea what the fine is here in NZ but it obviously isn't enough to deter the majority of people. I really think that -

First Offence: Phone is confiscated for 48hours along with a fine and demerits.

Second Offence. Phone is confiscated and destroyed along with bigger fine and more demerits.

If they can confiscate cars then why not a phone? I'm sure that would make people think twice....

Being caught on mobile phone is $80 fine and 20 demerits. I personally think they should raise it to $150 and 35 demerits.

Always see people at their phones at traffic lights and they dont notice its gone green until i toot then they decide to go through intersection at a late orange/early red....

• Like 2

• Admin

Agree with you all there. Nothing that can be said through a txt is important enough to bother.

Used to take the odd business call when known to be an urgent one on speaker phone, which while still illegal isn't quite as bad, or as distracting.

Even then, it's alot of focus used on something else that should be used on watching the road.

2 hours ago, Andy_Mac said:

Agree with you all there. Nothing that can be said through a txt is important enough to bother.

Used to take the odd business call when known to be an urgent one on speaker phone, which while still illegal isn't quite as bad, or as distracting.

Even then, it's alot of focus used on something else that should be used on watching the road.

Its only legal to use the speaker phone, if the phone is in a secured holder.  So even on your lap or seat in speaker mode is illegal

6 minutes ago, killervq30de said:

Its only legal to use the speaker phone, if the phone is in a secured holder.  So even on your lap or seat in speaker mode is illegal

7.3A Ban on use of mobile phones while driving

4) A driver may, while driving a vehicle, use a mobile phone to make, receive, or terminate a telephone call if the phone does not require the driver to hold or manipulate it to make, receive, or terminate the call.

(7) A driver may, while driving a vehicle, use a mobile phone in a way described in subclause (1)(a) or (f), if both the following apply:

• (a) the phone is secured in a mounting fixed to the vehicle; and

• (b) if the driver manipulates or looks at the phone, he or she does so infrequently and briefly.

19 minutes ago, 1randomkiwi said:

Interesting fact: You may call 111 and *555 whilst driving without breaching the law

Have checked that while driving and  on my phone to *555. Asked if cops turned up would I get done for talking on my phone, they said no as different situation to normal driving and talking.

• Admin
14 hours ago, 1randomkiwi said:

Interesting fact: You may call 111 and *555 whilst driving without breaching the law.

(2)An enforcement officer may, while driving a vehicle, use a mobile phone to make, receive, or terminate a telephone call if the officer is making, receiving, or terminating the call in the execution of the officer's duty.

(3)A driver may, while driving a vehicle, use a mobile phone if—

• (a)the driver is using the phone to make a 111 or *555 call; and

• (b)it is unsafe or impracticable for the driver to stop and park the vehicle to make the call

•  

Source: http://www.legislation.govt.nz/regulation/public/2004/0427/latest/DLM2510830.html

• Like 1

i hate people who do this! i have at so many times wanted to throw an egg or something at the guys texting and driving or talking on their mobile and driving, especially on the motorway in the fast lane far out, some people were born stupid i guess! >:(