Please check your junk folder for registration emails ×
  • Current Donation Goals

• Raised $0.00

BP 98 vs Mobil 98

mtbtimr

So I’ve been running BP 98 in my Forester since I bought it.

With the recent Auckland fuel tax, I’d like to know a bit more about the difference between Mobil 98 and BP 98...

Mobil seems to be cheaper on average, and they do the smiles card which gives 6c/L off plus 1.5 ‘smiles points’ for each litre (equivalent to about 3c/L) so about 9c/L off every day.

BP does 6c/L off every day with smartfuel, but regularly does 10c/L off. 

What is the difference? Is it even worth thinking about? 

I've been using BP 98 only, interested in comments about the difference if anyone knows anything relevant.

I am guessing that the difference must be so small that you wouldn't notice it just by driving. The only difference is probably down to which additives they use, one might clean your engine better than the other or something like that.

Interested. Really it's a question of does it detonate/knock on Mobil if it's tuned on BP or vise versus.

I've used both Mobil and BP in my BP98 tuned cars. No issues that i'm aware of, but that doesn't mean there isn't any (I don't have any knock gear on my cars to compare).

I believe there is a difference between Gull and BP due to ethanol content, but have heard conflicting story's of which is better. One friend said his car see less knock on Gull, but have heard others say it's tuned on Gull so fine to run BP.

• Admin

I mean they're the same octane rating, they won't be all that different. As @delta said, probably just additives etc.

It's not like Gull which uses an ethanol blend to increase the octane rating to 98.

I used to use BP 98 only til the beginning of the year where they started to increase margins and Mobil ended up being 10-20c per litre cheaper at the pump before any discounts.

Side note: Mobil also does 10c discount days and 4x Smiles Points days too.

• Like 2

It really depends on what your car is tuned for. If you were tuned on fully 98 pump gas, it really shouldn't make much of a difference if its mobile or BP. 

Gull force 10 has 10% ethanol - ethanol has a cooling effect on the charge before combustion so a tuner (only when tuned on this fuel) can potentially push more timing and get a little more power out of this fuel. Its the same principle as e85. You're not going to notice a whole lot at lower power levels on E10, but the gains will be larger the higher up you go. 

Putting Gull force 10 in a BP98 tuned will make it run less ideally and vice versa - im guessing this is where the conflicting opinions come about. 

Key is (from my experience), getting you vehicle tuned for a certain type of fuel and sticking with it. 

Edited by Niran

i switched to mobil 98, as their min RON value is also 98 which is really all i care about. they also seem to advertise same kind of benefits from the additives that BP markets. i guess if you wanted to be really objective about this then would ideally have knock counter on a car testing between the different fuels but i wouldn't expect any worthy differences between those two.. might just be confirmation bias though.

as others have said, mobil 98 is cheaper at shelf price before even applying their smiles discounts than BP price including the smartfuel discounts. i also wait for the 10c off per litres wednesdays if i can, for that extra bit of savings.

just as an FYI in case anyone hasn't heard of it, check this app out - https://gaspy.nz/

i check Gaspy in diffrent regions out of curiosity and though i don't beleive in driving far out of my way just to get a fuel discount, i know for example that when i go visit my cousin out in bayview every couple weeks i can stop in at the mobil in that area to feed my car 98 at about 10c/litre cheaper than it is near my house. i imagine i'll also be using this for a bit of forward planning on future road trips also. used to really not care about saving a few cents here and there but since i started doing the math on it, my expenditure on the premium juices became quite shocking after i moved on from my 1.8L corolla..

mobil 98 may be cheaper because it is an ethanol blend ?

from the mobil nz website...

"At selected service stations in wider Wellington region, Extra Unleaded and Synergy 1000 may contain up to 3% ethanol and Supreme+ and Synergy 8000 will contain up to 10% ethanol. May not be suitable for all vehicle engines, check with the manufacturer before use."

My car was  tuned for Gull E10.Asked about using Mobil or BP 98,no problems.More important to purchase your fuel from a busy gas station with a high turnover.Fresh fuel is good fuel.

• Like 1

• Admin

My understanding is that Mobil's is E10, as above. Slightly different animal to straight petrol 98 octane (which I think only BP sells), but unless you're tuned to the ragged edge it probably doesn't make a difference.

27 minutes ago, newsuba said:

mobil 98 may be cheaper because it is an ethanol blend ?

from the mobil nz website...

"At selected service stations in wider Wellington region, Extra Unleaded and Synergy 1000 may contain up to 3% ethanol and Supreme+ and Synergy 8000 will contain up to 10% ethanol. May not be suitable for all vehicle engines, check with the manufacturer before use."

i remember hearing about this few months ago when similar discussion came about and someone raised enquiry with Mobil over it. answer at the time was that this was not applicable to auckland.

having said that, i can't find any news about that at all on the site, it used to be on this page right? https://www.mobil.co.nz/en/synergy-fuels

can you please link to where you found this? if it is still the case then i definitely want to know about it, since if i'm filling up e10 then i'd rather do that at gull where it's significantly cheaper.. and if i wish to stay with pure 98 then i'll know to fork out the extra at BP instead.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, newsuba said:

yes, seems the original link is dead.

i re-found the quote on some biker site

:D

yeh i found references on kiwibiker too as well as few other places but those are all old, or so i would assume as seemed to get same milage out of mobil 98 as i did with bp 98 on the subaru.. didnt analyse knock count or anything tho.

have enquired via their fb page, will follow up tomorrow if dont receive reply.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, gotasuby said:

Every tuner from the North Island I have spoken to about gets better gains power wise and less knock on Mobil 98 vs bp98. We only have bp98 down here so cannot compare myself

did you speak with anyone who happened to have ethanol content sensor and could confirm if it had any of that in it?

hmm no one has contacts at Mobile right? no reply on their FB , i filled up recently and didnt see anything on signage about ethanol content nor have i noticed difference in milage with mobil 98 vs bp98 which lead me to beleive it does not have ethanol, atleast not the few which i have used out west auckland.

Only way would to have someone with a FlexFuel sensor run some, and then pop up the laptop, and see what the sensor reads.

Or lab test it.

I'd also be curious to know if the E85 that Gull sells at a few stations varies in Ethanol content like it does in America through the seasons.

• Like 1

On ‎4‎/‎07‎/‎2018 at 6:17 PM, Individualities said:

I'd also be curious to know if the E85 that Gull sells at a few stations varies in Ethanol content like it does in America through the seasons.

It certainly does. Have seen it range from 70-83%.

On 04/07/2018 at 6:17 PM, Individualities said:

Only way would to have someone with a FlexFuel sensor run some, and then pop up the laptop, and see what the sensor reads.

Or lab test it.

They drop the ethanol content in winter usually to get around the difficulty in starting the car in colder conditions. So add 30% 98 instead of the usual 15%. 

I've seen this on my dash which gives ethanol percentage of fuel. 

straight from exxon mobil. no ethanol in mobil fuels in NZ

Thank you for your interest in our product. We can confirm that all grades of Mobil fuels contain no Ethanol.

For more information about fuels, you may visit https://www.mobil.co.nz/en/fuels

Best regards,

Consumer Care Team

Fuels & Lubricant Customer Service

Toll Free Number:

New Zealand:    0800 880 361

Australia:             1800 105 961

Singapore:          1800 347 5103

Singapore LPG: 1800 266 2828

Thailand:              1800 700 777

Hong Kong:         800 933 696

Edited by Batbaruman
  • Like 3