Please check your junk folder for registration emails ×
  • Current Donation Goals

• Raised $0.00

What have you done to your car today?

Guest keltik

Too much monies ow.

I made some rear parcel tray speaker mounts out of 2mm ali. All cut to fit the factory speaker profile but mounting 6.5" Pioneer bass bullets and they fit the version 6 round speaker covers.

Didnt realise the parcel trays are a bitch to get out! However, all done no damage and looks and sounds good.

I even have the template should anyone need a copy.

sounds really cool. how does it sound? not much substance with the ali. i made a new shelf out of 18mm mdf and covered it in vinyl. the thickness gave them a big boost in the lower frequencies

No wont be much response but they are only fill speakers so not too worried about it. I just needed something quick to fab up and had no thin mdf as i want to keep the stock looking profile on the tray.

Unfortunately I think the fatory rears are a funny shape.

They are components so i could play round and hook up the cross overs and tweeters and see how it sounds.

Next is fabbing up a custom mdf sub box that hugs the back of the rear seat and flush mounts the amp. Curves in mdf...fun times. Steam moulding time.

Dunno why car manufactorers dont use industry standard speaker shapes and sizes. bloody silly.

Swindog said:

Dunno why car manufactorers dont use industry standard speaker shapes and sizes. bloody silly.

Possibly as different cars have different shapes etc different szed speakers sound better/are required for the space.

boon']

[quote name='evowrx said:

the breather wont handle fuel only vapour. big difference in the hose are you sure you are using the breather as the return?

the breather needs to breathe

the return is the return

/quote]

There are 3 steel hardlines off the petrol tank to the engine bay... One is the high pressure line off the pump, so nothing changed there.

One is the line that used to go to the charcoal cannister, presumably the breather, this is now my return line.

The other was the old return and now just chills out open in the engine bay. Which is not good, as for some reason it's shooting petrol.

Why'd you swap the return and the breather lines?

Did you sort it at the tank end so that the return still goes back in through the same hole so that it can run the venturi pump to pull fuel across from the other side of the tank.

boon']

[quote name='Swindog said:

Curves in mdf...fun times. Steam moulding time.

/quote]

Look into kerfing the MDF. Works really well, to a point.

Personally I just glass curved stuff these days...

Na kerfing reduces the tensial strength of the mdf and it starts to delaminate. Slow and low temp steam moulding, although takes longer produces a more rigid outcome.

• Admin
 Koom']

[quote name='evowrx said:

the breather wont handle fuel only vapour. big difference in the hose are you sure you are using the breather as the return?

the breather needs to breathe

the return is the return

/quote]

There are 3 steel hardlines off the petrol tank to the engine bay... One is the high pressure line off the pump, so nothing changed there.

One is the line that used to go to the charcoal cannister, presumably the breather, this is now my return line.

The other was the old return and now just chills out open in the engine bay. Which is not good, as for some reason it's shooting petrol.

Why'd you swap the return and the breather lines?

Did you sort it at the tank end so that the return still goes back in through the same hole so that it can run the venturi pump to pull fuel across from the other side of the tank.

The fuel rails are on the opposite side on the new motor... so the return line comes out where the old Evap canister was.

It's probably worth mentioning that this is on my Surf, not my Subaru :) So no worries about venturi etc etc.

But further investigation shows that the breather line has a funny valve on it at the tank end, so yeah I'll need to swap them over at the tank, shouldn't be a big deal. Then I'll just bend the old return line away into the guard or something.

ODB']

[quote name='Swindog said:

/quote]

Possibly as different cars have different shapes etc different szed speakers sound better/are required for the space.

Sizing I can understand but what about stoopid shapes. Annoying.

Took it for a warrant this morning, passed with flying colours! asked him if there was anything he noticed that might need attention soon and he said nah couldn't fault it at all, YUS! means i can funnel my spare cash into getting the clutch changed in next few weeks, will be nice to have smooth shifting again. WIN!

Need to find a windscreen i noticed my crack is spreading.

whats the goes when you got windscreen cover do they just fix it? what details do i need to give them and can i get any special windscreens for my GF8 e.g blue tints

QRAF said:

whats the goes when you got windscreen cover do they just fix it? what details do i need to give them and can i get any special windscreens for my GF8 e.g blue tints

I rang up and they got me to ring Smith and Smith, who asked me to describe the screen (ie. tint colour etc) and the crack (if it's too big they'll just put a new screen in) and then they checked they had one in stock and had me drop the car down.

Unfortunately there was some rust in between the screen and the roof that needed dealing to so be aware that if you also have some 'hidden treasure' under there it is unlikely that you'll be covered for that as well.

U

QRAF said: