Please check your junk folder for registration emails ×
  • Current Donation Goals

• Raised $0.00

What have you done to your car today?

Guest keltik

MercuryFree']
Cool sounds good, who made all that for you?

as I am thinking of going bigger injectors as i have v8 pink ones but not sure if they will support the power i want in the future above 250kwatw.

Fuel delivery requirement is generally held to be ~5.25cc/min per hp.

565*4=2260cc/min

2260/5.25 = 430hp

430*0.74 = 318kW @ flywheel

318*0.85 = 270kW @ wheels (approximate drivetrain loss of 15% pulled out of my @$$)

I believe the injector cc rating is at 100% duty cycle (not recommended...) so yeah if you want significantly more than 250kW atw then bigger would indeed be ideal

/math

Awsome info that is what i have been looking for. i thiknk read somewhere 15% loss for manual didnt specify 2 or 4wd though.

[quote name='funkytown said:

they wont support >250kw mate. thats more or less about their peak.

you can put 1000's in on your factory top feed rails afaik, and they easily support 300kw,

I run sidefed 800s to support 300

Cool so best way to go is to leave the factory rails for now and go bigger injectors as I am not going to want much more than 300kwatw anyway.

• General Member

Is it really a percentage? Seems crazy that if you are putting down say 1000HP you would lose 200HP. But if you put down 200HP you only lose 40HP.

How does drivetrain loss equate to a percentage? Is there a formula as to where it goes so to speak?

Johnnynz said:

Is it really a percentage? Seems crazy that if you are putting down say 1000HP you would lose 200HP. But if you put down 200HP you only lose 40HP.

How does drivetrain loss equate to a percentage? Is there a formula as to where it goes so to speak?

hmmm never looked at it like that. shot johnny. await some answers

Johnnynz said:

It's not in reality a percentage, but there are many many variables involved and given that most people in these parts have outputs in the 175-275kW band, an approximate number can be used. The real-world percentage would drop with an increase in power, although not necessarily if you end up overheating things

You'd need to get a whole heap of cars with every engine/hub/driveshaft/gearbox/diff combination running on engine, hub and rolling road dynos in order to develop a mathematical function to accurately model drivetrain loss. It's much easier to guesstimate :)

I'm not aware of anyone taking the time to do the above, but if anyone is then sing out because that'd be handy!

• General Member

Ah yup makes sense. I mainly wondered because I have a few mates with decent power Skylines (all 500HP+) and there drivetrain loss varies significantly. Especially between 2 and 4wd.

But as most Subi builds in NZ are between 200 and 270 KW atw I guess a percentage guesstimate does cover it pretty well.

Not car buuut:

Stripped the timber deck off, then waterblasted the f**k out of it to get rid of 22 years of sh*t from under the load deck, now to get some cancer chopped out of the back (on cage: only 50mm long bit of 20mm tube) and then coat the whole bastard in bitumen...

Johnnynz said:

think of a 200hp motor sitting behind the drive train required to withstand 1000hp. it would probably barely move it. there would be a fixed amount of energy loss in the effort required to make everything turn, coupled with a variable energy loss as things heat up. the 1000hp motor would make the drivetrain run a lot hotter (and therefore lose more energy) than the 200hp motor would. the percentage guestimations would be assuming the energy loss behind a drive train sufficient for the power. a 1000hp motor in a mini with a mini gearbox probably wouldn't lose much power through the drive train at all. until it blew it to bits that is

i've been told 10% fwd. 15% rwd. 25% 4wd. 35% for big auto holdens?