Guest keltik

What have you done to your car today?

Recommended Posts

2 hours ago, 1randomkiwi said:

Do you already have HIDs? or you retro-fitting them?
NZTA changed the laws around HID or LED retrofits btw. WoF fail now :/

 

IIRC the Japanese market ones had HID factory as an option. Very commonly selected option.

Good to know. Not even able to cert them?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 hours ago, 1randomkiwi said:


Do you already have HIDs? or you retro-fitting them?
NZTA changed the laws around HID or LED retrofits btw. WoF fail now :/

 

I can confirm my low beams are currently HID :D and got wof before I bought it. When I take it headlights out I will confirm what kind of fitting it is

 

Its supper weird though with all the other colors in between... Will take a pick a post it shortly

Edited by HannesNel

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
14 hours ago, Individualities said:

IIRC the Japanese market ones had HID factory as an option. Very commonly selected option.

Good to know. Not even able to cert them?

 

Complete headlight swaps are allowed, but you can't fit LED or HID to a lens that was designed for halogen etc.

And no, not even cert-able.

https://vehicleinspection.nzta.govt.nz/virms/in-service-wof-and-cof/general/lighting/headlamps#note8

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
25 minutes ago, 1randomkiwi said:

Complete headlight swaps are allowed, but you can't fit LED or HID to a lens that was designed for halogen etc.

And no, not even cert-able.

https://vehicleinspection.nzta.govt.nz/virms/in-service-wof-and-cof/general/lighting/headlamps#note8

 

I like this. A lot.

Although, still have to deal with the JDM cars that have factory reflector HID setups.

 

Had a flick through the link too, and my +150% low beam HID bulbs, +110% High & Fog Halogen bulbs are legal! All around the 4500K colour. All bulbs are straight replacements for factory bulbs. I have not modified them in anyway. Just bought Osram/Philips extra bright bulbs.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 11/20/2018 at 10:48 AM, Individualities said:

 

You should be able to buy an adapter kit that adapts the Subaru plug to either a mid plug, then mid plug to stereo, or just all in one Subaru to Headunit. The speaker outs from the Headunit are probably just RCA plugs.

Steering wheel controls is a bit beyond myself. But if you want to spend the time figuring it out, go ahead. Document it on the Forum in the garage section, so if someone else in future wants to do it, there is already some sort of guidelines.

If you can't get the controls to work, and want a steering wheel without controls, go have a browse at a Pick-a-part wreckers for one.

Unit arived today! yay...

 

already color coded it and seems straight forward. Now i need to get behind the current unit to see what is or is not there

 

New Radio Adaptor  
Key1-5V  
Key2-5V with thin black stripe
ACC  
Rear R- with thin black stripe
Rear R+  
ANT  
B+Battery  
Front R- with thin black stripe
Front R+  
Amp-con with thin white stripe
Reverse In with thin black stripe
Brake In  
Rear L+  
Rear L- with thin black stripe
Front L+  
Front L- with thin black stripe
Illumi  
GND  
   
 
 
   
 
   
Edited by HannesNel
  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
28 minutes ago, Individualities said:

@Subru @IZichard in case you didn't know, the Anti-Lift kits like KCA319A help with front end lift under acceleration. Emailed Whiteline as I wasn't sure. 

It is called an Anti Lift Kit for a reason 😉

 

Edit: “Whiteline Anti Lift Kits are primarily designed to improve traction and cornering grip under power. By increasing static caster and improving front end geometry the new alloy mounts coupled with low compliance synthetic elastomer bushings serve to dramatically sharpen initial turn-in response and reduce understeer.”

Edited by IZichard
  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
58 minutes ago, IZichard said:

It is called an Anti Lift Kit for a reason 😉

 

Edit: “Whiteline Anti Lift Kits are primarily designed to improve traction and cornering grip under power. By increasing static caster and improving front end geometry the new alloy mounts coupled with low compliance synthetic elastomer bushings serve to dramatically sharpen initial turn-in response and reduce understeer.”

 

That's the smart way to say it :P 

I wanted a more simplified definition lol.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Well a week late but new DNS rotors and pads fitted.

2016 STI shocks and springs retro fitted into the older 2008 grb.

drop almost the same as tein gold lowering springs. 10-15mm higher but still about 25mm lower than I suspect it was factory.

car is completely different to drive. The small increase in height is noticeable driving. Smaller bumps are picked up far more. 

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Some pedestrian decided to run in front of me today... If only they had used the pedestrian crossing 5m away :(

They were okay. Didn't notice the damage until I got to work:

WcR6Ys6.jpg

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Looking at an 04 legacy bl5. Had a replacement long block in November 2017, done by Subaru performance repairs in nelson. Then at 1/6/18 cambelt, tensioners etc were done by same place.
Bit confused on this, if a long block was installed why would you replace the cambelt etc only a year later? Surely would have been done when long block was installed. There is receipts for this

Am I missing something here? Also what should the stock turbo be on an ej20x? I assume vf38?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
47 minutes ago, iludez said:

Looking at an 04 legacy bl5. Had a replacement long block in November 2017, done by Subaru performance repairs in nelson. Then at 1/6/18 cambelt, tensioners etc were done by same place.
Bit confused on this, if a long block was installed why would you replace the cambelt etc only a year later? Surely would have been done when long block was installed. There is receipts for this

Am I missing something here? Also what should the stock turbo be on an ej20x? I assume vf38?

 

Seems weird. Was probably just a complete dressed long block from another wreck that went in and they were trying to do it as cheap as possible. Don't suppose they give the KM’s when both were done?

 

VF38 if it's auto, TD04HLA if manual.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
  Seems weird. Was probably just a complete dressed long block from another wreck that went in and they were trying to do it as cheap as possible. Don't suppose they give the KM’s when both were done?

 

VF38 if it's auto, TD04HLA if manual.

 

Only mention of khs was on the cambelt on 1/6/18. Long block was purchased through parts connection receipt says $1899 or something like that, I guess I can call the guy who did the work and find out.

Does seem rather weird though

 

so would have the td04 since its manual then cool

 

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

If you're just scraping up enough to do an unexpected engine replacement no matter how cheap a cambelt kit might be it could be out of the question.

What were the kms when the cambelt was done? 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
If you're just scraping up enough to do an unexpected engine replacement no matter how cheap a cambelt kit might be it could be out of the question.
What were the kms when the cambelt was done? 
205khs, and the invoice says $1000

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I got the bl5!! After phoning the guy who did all the work he actually told me it was his car previously

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

My god this thing is quick! Holy smokes it pulls so well, the difference compared to my be is massive

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 hours ago, iludez said:

My god this thing is quick! Holy smokes it pulls so well, the difference compared to my be is massive

 

Such nice cars! I picked a BP5 spec B up as a daily and yeah had the same reaction, so much instant twinscroll torque. At normal speeds it feels so much faster than my 180wkw wrx. The thing handles well, tows stuff, cruises effortlessly, has heated seats, 10 speaker audio and gets ~9L/100km. Not much to complain about!

 

YwwSdyP.jpg?1

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 hours ago, mitch8198 said:

 

Such nice cars! I picked a BP5 spec B up as a daily and yeah had the same reaction, so much instant twinscroll torque. At normal speeds it feels so much faster than my 180wkw wrx. The thing handles well, tows stuff, cruises effortlessly, has heated seats, 10 speaker audio and gets ~9L/100km. Not much to complain about!

 

 

My friends factory BP5 felt faster than my tuned WRX too :( Must be that twinscroll, dual AVCS goodness

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 11/27/2018 at 9:15 AM, iludez said:

Looking at an 04 legacy bl5. Had a replacement long block in November 2017, done by Subaru performance repairs in nelson. Then at 1/6/18 cambelt, tensioners etc were done by same place.
Bit confused on this, if a long block was installed why would you replace the cambelt etc only a year later? Surely would have been done when long block was installed. There is receipts for this

Am I missing something here? Also what should the stock turbo be on an ej20x? I assume vf38?

 

Lol Ive lived in Nelson my whole life and never heard of "Subaru performance repairs" who is this company?

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
 
Lol Ive lived in Nelson my whole life and never heard of "Subaru performance repairs" who is this company?
 
Pretty sure they operate from Facebook, it's his side business

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

posting here as well as it seems this gets more eyes :P

 

Unexpected maintenance for this weekend - sounds like my pads need to be replaced.

 

Thinking of doing all 4 wheels at the same time. This will be on the budget for now until I have funds to replace with nicer hubs and pads.

 

Anyone know of a combo deal floating around where I can buy a full set for all 4 wheels?

 

According to supercheap these would fit but its labeled trailer pads? ¬¬ https://www.supercheapauto.co.nz/p/trojan-trojan-trailer-brake-pad-kit---hydraulic-standard-4-piece/339097.html

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
44 minutes ago, HannesNel said:

posting here as well as it seems this gets more eyes :P

 

Unexpected maintenance for this weekend - sounds like my pads need to be replaced.

 

Thinking of doing all 4 wheels at the same time. This will be on the budget for now until I have funds to replace with nicer hubs and pads.

 

Anyone know of a combo deal floating around where I can buy a full set for all 4 wheels?

 

According to supercheap these would fit but its labeled trailer pads? ¬¬ https://www.supercheapauto.co.nz/p/trojan-trojan-trailer-brake-pad-kit---hydraulic-standard-4-piece/339097.html

Go to a BNT  $56.15+ a set

Front DB1491

Rear 2 sizes, so maybe take a sample. DB1803CP (111x38x14) or DB1379CP (108x42x14)

Edited by Zeus
update
  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 minutes ago, Zeus said:

Go to a BNT  $56.15+ a set

Front DB1491

Rear 2 sizes, so maybe take a sample. DB1803CP (111x38x14) or DB1379CP (108x42x14)

 

Thanks! And by set, I assume you mean 4 pads, 2 for each front wheel, just to clarify.

 

mmm, I need to drive there so taking sample might be tricky :P

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
32 minutes ago, HannesNel said:

 

Thanks! And by set, I assume you mean 4 pads, 2 for each front wheel, just to clarify.

 

mmm, I need to drive there so taking sample might be tricky :P

 

 

Could always just whip one out ahead of time and trace the shape out on a piece of paper.

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.